Guru Arjan was born in Goindwal, a small town in Amritsar district, on April 15, 1563. He was the youngest son of Guru Ram Das and Bibi Bhani. As a child, one day he found his way to the bed of Guru Amar Das who was then resting. His mother ran to fetch the child before he could disturb the Guru, but he had already awakened the Guru, who revealed, ?Let him come to me; ?Yeh mera dohita bani ka bohita howega?-this grandson of mine shall be a ship to take mankind across the acean of the world.?

Guru Arjan was married to Ganga, daughter of Krishen Chand. The marriage took place in 1589 when he was about 26 years old. Guru Ram Das began excavation of two tanks named Santokhsar and Amritsar and started the foundation of the city of Ramdaspur. After his father, Guru Arjan applied himself to the task of completing the tanks

and extending the city. He had three sons namely Prithi Chand, Mahadev, and Guru Arjan.

Guru Amar Das installed him as Guru in 1574 A.D.  In accordance with the orders of Guru Amar Das, Guru Ram Das acquired land falling in tung, Gumlata and Sultan Wind villages in 1574 A.D. and started the digging of the tank.  In 1588 Guru Arjan Dev got it completed and named it Santokh Sar.  In 1574 A.D. he set up a village.  It was named Guru ka Chak.  He constructed a marketing centre and residential houses.  In 1577 A.D. Guru Ram Das started the digging work near Dukh Bhanjni Beri.  The tank was named Amrit Sarovar.  The digging of  the tank was taken up in 1586 A.D.  The foundation stone of Harmandir was laid by Mian Mir. 

A revenue collector of Patti in district of Lahore had five daughters, the fifth daughter was very religious.  One day the father asked who gave them to eat and drink.  The first four daughters said that it were their parents, but the fifth daughter told her parents that God was the only Cherisher of His Creation.  On hearing this reply her father got very angry and remarked, “I shall see if God will protect you.”

One day a crippled leper came to the town and the father married his fifth daughter to him to teach her a lesson.  She willfully accepted him as her true husband.  She put him in a basket and carried him on her head, and begged from door to door to maintain their livelihood.  One day she left him under a tree near a pool of water and went to the nearby colony to beg for food.  The leper saw som crows (black in colour) dipping in the water and they turned white when came out of the water.  The leper thought that the water had some miraculous healing property.  So he left his basket and crawled into the water, and the leprosy at once disappeared from the body except one finger which was left out of Water.  When the lady came back, she did not believe the story of the healed leper.  Ultimately they went to Guru Ram Das, who confirmed saying that the pool possesseth such extraordinary efficacy which the man alleged.  The tree under the shade of which she left her husband, is still standing there and is called ‘Dukh Bhanjni Beri’.  The tank was known as Amritsar - tank of nectar and the city came to be known as City of Amritsar.  The work was not finished by Guru Ram Das but it as completed by his successor, Guru Arjan Dev.

Baba Sri Chand, the eldest son of Nanak, was the leader of a religious sect of his own.  He roamed over the country as a mystic of great repute.  During his travels Baba Sri Chand came to Amritsar to meet Guru Ram Das.  Seeing Guru Ji’s long flowing beard, Baba Sri Chand asked him jocularly why he grew it.  “To wipe the dust from the holy feet of the saints like you,” replied Guru Ram Das.  “Your this sweet humility is the magic that makes you so great and makes me so small.” said Baba Sri Chand.

Like his predecessors, Guru Ram Das carried on the work of Langar in a more elaborate and methodical way.  As in the past strict adherence was made to the term ‘Pangat’ in Langar.  Anybody irrespective of race, creed, caste, religion or sex could partake of food without any hesitation.

Guru Ram Das had felt his beloved in his youngest son Arjan, and such was the prophency of Guru Amar Das also.  When Arjan as a baby, would crawl up to the plate from which Guru Amar Das took his meals, the Guru would say, “Why so impatient, O little one? Thou, too, shall eat from this plate.

Guru Ram Das asked Arjan to go and live at Lahore till he should call him.  This was a great spiritual pain for Arjan, but he was the soul of obedience, and prepared to go to Lahore.  At his departure, his mother Bhani blessed the child; giving him her message of motherly love.

Arjan’s exile was to the exile of  Guru Angad from Kartarpur, of Guru Amar Das from Khadur and of Guru Ram Das from Goindwal.

From Lahore he wrote his famous epistle to Guru Ram Das, which were intercepted by his elder brother and thus withheld from the Guru.  An epistle marked “3” reached to Guru Ram Das safely, and Arjan was recalled from exile.  On his return, his father asked why he put the figure “3” on his very first letter.  The truth came to light, and Prithi Chand, his elder brother, was forced to produce the other letters, which contained songs of supreme value.  Thers wer set to music, and great was the rejoicing at Arjan’s home-coming.

It was on his home-coming from Lahore that  Guru Ram Das embraced Arjan, and gave him the throne of Guru Nanak.  Guru Ram Das placed the usual offerings before Arjan and Bhai Buddha ji gave the Tilak of spiritual kingship.  Guru Ram Das said, “Arjan has today become the Guru of the whole earth; the light proceeds from his throne and lights the world.”

This happened in August, 1581.

Prithi Chand became so mad that he addressed his father in abusive language.  He told Bhai Buddha ji that his father acted improperly in giving Guruship to his younger brother.  He vowed that he would remove Guru Arjan and would seat himself on the Guru Gaddi (Throne).  The Guru counselled him not to quarrel about it, but Prithi Chand refused to submit and adopted an attitude of open defiance.

Having nominated Guru Arjan Dev, Guru Ram Das left his old headquarters at Goindwal.  After a few days He left this world on the first of September, 1581. 

© 1999-2006 | All Right Reserved